Ceramic weld backing is a consumable item used in root pass heavy-gauge MIG welding.
Applications include structural steel fabrication, pressure vessel manufacture, shipbuilding and pipeline seam welding.
Here are 7 reasons you could benefit from using ceramic weld backing:
- Ceramic weld backing offers x-ray quality back beads on root pass.
- Wider heat receptive pressure sensitive foil for improved adhesion.
- Eradicates the need for gouging and grinding as welding can be carried out from a single side with full penetration.
- Thus eliminating the risk of timely re-work and costly rejects.
- Allows the use of increased welding currents as the ceramics tiles support the active weld pool.
- Weld pool support provided by the backing also allows for increased welding speeds, decreasing arc energy and subsequently Heat Affected Zone.
- As the root area is fully enclosed, oxidation of the weld surface is reduced, eliminating the need for post-weld cleaning.
We can offer ceramic weld backing from Gullco, world leaders in welding and cutting automation products. Weld backing can be sent worldwide, for more information click here.
Pingback: 34 Tips to Weld with Ceramic Backing - Welding Mastermind
Pingback: 34 Tips to Weld with Ceramic Backing – Welding Mastermind